Aims & Objectives
The Bruny Island Environment Network Inc. was established in January, 2009.
BIEN Inc. is a network of individuals and groups with an interest in the conservation of the natural resources and biodiversity of Bruny Island, Tasmania, Australia.
The aims and purpose of the network are to:
1. Promote the biodiversity, cultural heritage and scenic values of Bruny Island and generate resources and support for their protection.
2. Support economic activity on Bruny that is ecologically sustainable, generates sustainable livelihoods on the island and enhances its values.
3. Provide information and support for landholders, the wider Bruny community and visitors about environmental and conservation issues.
4. Work with private and public landholders to improve environmental outcomes, particularly:
- Vegetation management,
- Improved environmental management practices,
- Environmental education,
- Management of reserved and protected areas, and
- Coastal and marine conservation and management
5. Provide a framework for action that achieves appropriate scale, high value, timber harvesting which provides tangible, long term benefits to the Bruny community.